Denise O’Doherty, LPC, MSN, LMFT, RN, a native New Yorker, is a psychotherapist, Licensed Professional Counselor, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, Certified IMAGO Relationship Therapist and Registered Nurse. In addition to her 25-year, full-time private practice in Houston, Texas, she is also an educator, lecturer and author. Denise presents regularly to professional, corporate and civic organizations on personal development and transgender education. She has been a Clinical Instructor for the University of Texas at Houston School of Nursing. Her warm and engaging style provides enlightenment, clarity and insight. She inspires confidence while helping others seek positive change. Denise specializes in Gender Identity Issues, Marriage and Family Therapy, Relationship Counseling, Pre-Marital Counseling, Addiction, Recovery and Codependency.
- MSN – University of Florida
Masters Degree Psychiatric Nursing/Adult Mental Health
- BSN -State University of New York at Stony Brook
Bachelors of Science in Nursing
- AA – University of South Florida
Associates of Arts
- LPC -Licensed Professional Counselor – 1990- present
- LMFT -Licensed Marriage & Family Therapist – 1992-present
- CIRT -Certified IMAGO Relationship Therapist – 1994-present
- RN -Registered Nurse – Active License
- LCDC -Licensed Chemical Dependency Counselor -23 years
- Completed “Post Induction Therapy Training” on childhood trauma led by Pia Melody in association with the Meadows Treatment Center – 2013
- Previously Licensed LPC & LMFT Supervisor – 2014
- Previously Certified as a DWI Education Program Instructor
- Leisure Learning Unlimited – 1992 to 2016 Instructor for the following Adult Self- Empowerment and Growth Classes:
- Overcoming the Power Struggle in Relationships
- Secrets to Finding and Maintaining a Long Term Relationship
- Coping with Fear, Panic and Anxiety
- Confidence and Self-Esteem
- Getting What You Want Through Effective Confrontation
- Personal Boundaries: Teaching People How to Treat You
- How to Cope with Criticism and Overcome Shame
- Romantic and Intimate Relationships: How To Make Them Work
- Managing Depression
- Conference/Corporate Speaker. Denise has been a regular speaker at various professional conferences including: Gender Infinity, Houston Association of Marriage & Family Therapists, Spectrum Alcohol & Recovery, and more.In addition to conferences, Denise also lecturers for professional companies, corporations, civic and social groups.
- Univ. of Texas Health Science Center Past Clinical Instructor, Psychiatric Nursing Program
Professional Memberships & Associations
- HAIRT – Houston Association of IMAGO Therapists
- AAMFT – American Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- HAMFT – Houston Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- WPATH – World Professional Association of Transgendered Health
- John Steven Kellett Foundation – Board Member
- EPAH – Executive Professional Associates of Houston – Board Member
Lectures and Presentations
- O’Doherty, D.- NASA – United Space Alliance, League City, TX. “Assert Yourself- Personal Boundaries and Effective Confrontation”.
- O’Doherty, D.- University of Houston. Dept. of Cultural Diversity. “Confidence and Self-Esteem”.
- O’Doherty, D.- AssistHers, Houston, TX. – “Addictions and Recovery”
- O’Doherty, D.- Unity Church, Houston, TX. – 2017- Singles Workshop- “Romantic Relationships- What Makes Them Work”?
- O’Doherty, D. Keo-Meir, Colt- United Methodist Church, Houston, TX.- “Revised Mental Health Standards of Care for those working with Transgender Clients”.
- O’Dohery, D- Montrose Center, Houston, TX. Therapist Inservice. “Thriving Through Transition- Self Care for parents of transgender children.”2019.
- O’Doherty,D. – Unity Church, Houston, TX. -Heart to Heart- “Effective Confrontation”.
- O’Doherty, D.- Unity Church, Houston, TX. “How to Create Happy Healthy Relationships”.
- O’Doherty, D. The Council on Alcohol and Drugs, Houston, TX. – “Finding and Maintaining Long Term Relationships”.
- O’Doherty, D, The Council on Alcohol and Drugs, Houston, TX.- The Meadows Public Lecture Series “Developing Personal Boundaries”.
- O’Doherty, D. Tau Chi Chapter Meeting, Houston, TX. – “A New Look at Femininity”.
- O’Doherty, D. Houston Chapter of the Association for Conflict Resolution, Houston, TX. “Fighting Fair in Relationships”.
- O’Doherty, D. Williams Energy, Houston, TX. – “Transgender 101- Dealing with Transition in the Workplace”.
- O’Doherty, D. – TAMFT – Houston, TX- “Transgender Issues in Psychotherapy”.
- O’Doherty, D. – S.P.I.C.E. – Atlanta, Georgia- “Bedroom Issues and key ingredients for Healthy sexuality”.
- O’Doherty, D. – SPECTRUM – Houston, TX. “Increasing Self-Esteem and Confidence through Personal Boundaries and Effective Confrontation”.
- O’Doherty, D.- International Foundation for Gender Education, Inc.- Austin, TX. Transgender 2005- “Crossdressing in Marriage”.
- O’Doherty, D.- TLC: Power in Motion – Houston, TX “Overcoming the Power Struggle in Relationships”.
- O’Doherty, D. The Women’s Group- First Unitarian Universalist Church, Houston, TX. “Sex Drive Desire Discrepancies in Relationships- What to do when your desires don’t match”
- O’Doherty, D.- International Foundation for Gender Education, Inc.- Austin, TX- panel discussion “Children of Transgender Parents- Their Issues and How to Cope with Them”.
- O’Doherty, D. Tri-Ess – Holiday En-Femme- “Overcoming the Power Struggle in Relationships” and “Crossdressing in Marriage”.
- O’Doherty, D. Contemporary Relationships 2017. Houston, TX. “Personal Boundaries and Effective Confrontation”.
- O’Doherty, D. Contemporary Relationships 2018. Houston, TX. “Thriving Through Transition- Self Care for parents of transgender children”.
- O’Doherty, D. Texas Association for Marriage and Family Therapy Conference- Houston, TX. “Crossdressing in Marriage”.